Information: Free Nursery Places for 2-4’s
From September 2013 there is a new duty for the Local Authorities to provide free early education places for 2 year olds. It is a two year programme that starts from Sept 2013 and allows some two year olds to free places in nursery settings.
The eligibility criteria for a child to receive a free place from Sept 2013 is as follows:
- Children that meet the eligibility criteria that is used for free school meals
- Children who’s families receive working tax credits and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190 or
- Their families receive universal credit (new benefits system)
- Children who are looked after by the local authority
- Other LA discretionary criteria may be used if places are available. LA’s are encouraged to consider offering places to children with special educational needs and disabilities.
The eligibility criteria for a child to receive this from Sept 2014 is as follows:
- All 2 year olds who live in families with £16,190 earnings threshold
- Children with high level SEN and disability
- Children leaving care through an adoption order, special guardian ship or residence order;
Two year old free place entitlement is for 15 hours per week for 38 weeks of the year (570 hours which can be stretched over 50 weeks).
We as a setting are able to provide these free sessions to two year olds as we have been graded as good in our OFSTED inspection.
We will offer flexible packages for the free early education subject to the following standards:
- No session longer than 10 hours
- No session shorter than 2.5 hours
- Not before 7am or after 7pm.
- 3 hours a day over 5 days of the week
- 7.5 hours over 2 days
If you have any questions about the above entitlement please speak to the manager.
If your child is eligible you will receive a letter from the Local Authority to advise you of what to do next.